Skip to main content

My frustrating social media addiction (thoughts)

I'm sure we have all experienced the social media addiction, I am definitely guilty of it, I feel as though Facebook and Instagram has become a part of my daily routine. It's like brushing your teeth or taking a shower everyday. The first thing I do when I wake up even before praying or reading my Bible, I check how many people liked my pictures, commented or followed me on Instagram. It is a very shameful addiction and I'm sure many of us can attest to that. It even gets to a point where sometimes I feel as though I wasted my whole day on these silly apps and I look back saying damn I just wasted 24hrs.

I am writing this note to myself to make a change, I know it is a personal/private decision, however, I decided to make it public because I do believe that there are many people suffering from the Instagram syndrome. it's embarrassing and sometimes it has a way of weighing down ones self-esteem, because it seems as though your life revolves around this app, an app that the founders are making millions and billions from. Here you are spending your time contributing to someone else's idea, while yours is wasting away by the second. I gave myself a 60 day challenge starting from today, except for June 6-7 (convocation day I have to post pictures for memories). Therefore I would say the 58 days challenge, to stay away from any form of distracting social media, including BBM, Facebook and Instagram. I refuse to post any pics or check out any ones page for 58 days. 

I'm starting by deleting the apps, and I would focus on the more important things in my life which are my love for writing and drawing. If you're reading this as well and can relate, I advice you do the same, but be realistic, start with a time frame that works for you. It could be 2-5 days(for serious addicts), 14, 20, 25, or 30 days. During the process do the things you love, exercise your true talents, spend more time with loved ones, stay connected with God and avoid these unwanted distractions. I'll keep you updated with my progress, Day 1 starts now! 19/06/2014. Till next time! stay blessed.


With love,

Odatspoetry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Single Failure, Multiple Treasures

she stumbled and fell, in the midst of her peers... They laughed and stared, as she struggled to raise her head ... They murmur and whisper Oh what a shameful picture She can’t rise up and face her fear Not even worthy enough to raise a cheer. She is a failure, can never be treasured She was as bright as gold, but never dared to be bold She is a hidden pearl, never broke out of her shell She is good for nothing... matter of fact she will never stand to be something. Tears rained down her eyes  She hated these lies Single lies without a worthy price She stood up with FIRE and yelled... LIAR. I am something, the Lord created me to be something I am a shining star, the Lord has brought me this far I have risen up; the Lord has filled my cup I fear nothing; the Lord has showered me with his blessing I am not a hidden pearl; I am his chosen girl. Her confidence created desire, desire to be like her Who is your Lord?  May we please come

Getting older way too fast..

The moment you realize you're actually getting older.. your priorites, thoughts and mindset starts changing up on you, telling you what you need to do, where you need to be.. gradually.., without even asking for your permission.. Like why??  I mean don't get me wrong I'm adjusting to it, the change and all, but make it stop.. I need more time, you know like backdated time, maybe like a yr or a couple more years.. cause.. I'm not ready..  not ready.. to grow up... YET...

Been very Busy!!! :(

So... I just got a new job, I know that's a good thing right?.. but imagine coming home everyday with sore feet.... yea that's a "No..No!!!!" I haven't been writing poems for sometime, due to my crazy shifts at work, and the little project I've been working on *can't say much* but y'all will get the hint soon... Hope you all like what I have so far.. I'm still young at this so stay with me and watch me grow.... your support is very much appreciated... Have a great day:-) Yours Truly, Helga